Saturday, October 13, 2007

Guilty Pleasure of the Month


Ok, I have a confession to make. I am a huge fan of JoJo. You know… that teeny bopper with the grown and sexy voice always singin’ about stuff she shouldn’t know about yet. I can’t help it because she reminds me sooooooo much of me in my middle school days. I was always looking older than I really was and actin’ like I was from the streets. My family was meeting the minimum to be considered middle class and I was straight hood anyway. My boyfriend carried a razor blade around in his mouth and went to one of those “special schools” where he was in solitary most of the day. I’m not even joking. Not only that, but I thought I was a star just like JoJo. I would videotape The Fly Girls from In Living Color and learn all the routines. I wanted to be that one blonde, longhaired dancer who was the chosen white girl to be down with the sistas and J Lo. When I see JoJo in the hallway at school in her video, I just want to take her by the hand and say, “It’s ok JoJo. Just because you’re like me….smokin’ hot early in the game, knowing way too much about hip hop for a normal Caucasian adolescent, doesn’t mean that you need to go hoein’ around and then singin’ about it. But please do, because I really like your songs and it brings me back to standing at the bus stop with my 40 cents, cause I was too young to drive myself to hook up with my thugged out, emotionally disturbed boyfriend."

LYLAS,
Lady Chavez

No comments: