Wednesday, March 19, 2008

SXSW Wrap-Up


I’m baaaaaack…

Hello party people. I’m back from South by Southwest. I managed to make it out of TX with most of my dignity, none of my money and a hangover that keeps on giving. I blame the BBQ, whiskey and Lonestar beer for most of that.

It was four great days in Austin, TX and I got to see some pretty fantastic stuff and meet a few of my heroes. Here’s my highlights from a very foggy memory of the last week…

El-P stopped by my party on Thursday to see Apollo Heights. Nice dood. Turns out he was in the hotel room next to mine.

Evil Bebos, Colossus and Thunderlip did NC proud with blistering sets of metal at the Black Box Mixtapes official SxSW showcase.

Percee P did a fast paced set at the Stones Throw party with DJ Rhettmatic on the decks. Then I ducked off for a quick sesh with DJ Rhettmatic and a buddy.


Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oats) jumped on the elevator with me at the hotel. I hummed “Rich Girl.” He didn’t seem amused.

…Free ice cream at the Terrorbird Media party at Emo's. Nothing goes with Lonestar Beer like a pina colada popsicle. Yum.

CunninLynguists worked it out at our Redeye day party at the Dirty Dog Bar, and got the crowd moving in the mid-afternoon. Thanks, fellas!

American Princes, did a few songs off of their new album, Other People, at the Planetary Group day party. These guys might be the best rock band in America.

The Donnas are very hot in person. Even hotter on stage. Mmmmm….sweaty rock girls.

…Props to the dude dressed up like a yellow Darth Vader walking around giving our candy canes. I don’t get it, but thanks for the candy.

Liam Finn does his one-man-band show like nobody I’ve ever seen. He will be famous one day. Plus, I’m off to see him again tonight in Raleigh.

…Ran into CX KiDTRONiK at the convention center and saw his set with Saul Williams at Vice. Live hip hop doesn’t get much better than that except for…

…Wrapped up the trip with a set from Astronautalis. Best thing I saw all week. He did a mix of songs from his albums and a few of his infamous freestyles.

I’m sure for everything I listed, I’ve forgotten ten more great things I did/saw. It was another crazy year in Austin and I can’t wait to get my ass back down there for another dose of insanity in 09. Maybe I’ll see you there???

MD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all of this is awesome but most jealous about Daryl Hall, I would have hummed, "I can't go for that, no no, no can do"