Friday, February 8, 2008

Hip Hop is Not For Lovers


Someone asked me yesterday to name some hip hop love songs. I was a jug o' wine deep and stumped. The only song I could think of was "Renee" by Lost Boyz which should be pretty high on the list. Common is off limits for obvious reasons. So this morning I may be hungover but there should be no excuse why I can't think of any more love jams. So, before I google the hell out of this, I need some readers to help me out. Here are the rules:

1) "Love" song means (man and a woman...no homo because that would be some super underground shit), no mama songs, or lovin' your hood

2) No Common

3) It has to be good, not just a song that talks about love

4) No search engines!





UPDATE: The list is out at OhWord.com so check it out and see if your love songs were on the list...then discuss and you can download the compilation at the end of the post or here

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LL- I need love(maybe the g.o.a.t. "Hiphop love song, def one of the originators at least)
The roots feat. Eve an Erykah Badu- you got me

i got what i asked for... said...

'me and my bitch' by biggie. a little gruff, but heartfelt nonetheless. 'me, myself and i' by de la if you're including self love songs.

Anonymous said...

i don't know why common doesn't count, LL is the master of love songs. but there are lots of groups with all kinds of love songs. a tribe called quest, slum village, outkast.... not to mention my favorite love song of all time just a friend by the biz. method man and mary j's take of you're all i need, not as good as marvin gaye and tammy terrell's, but it's cool. i know this dude slug, he loves to sing these songs about women.

Anonymous said...

ok, I should not rule out just Common but anyone who dated Badu 'cause she brings out the love song in anybody
-all of you made me look like a drunk fool with the awesome love hip hop songs you came up with (Me and My Bitch may be the winner)
-But so true about Slug because "Bodypillow" is prob my fav rap love song now that you brought it up
...oh and if you know slug, give him my email ASAP ;) (right top corner of the blog...haha

-keep the love songs coming!

Anonymous said...

She's keeps on passin me by....

Anonymous said...

"Passin Me By" by the Pharcyde....yes its unrequited love--but it's still a love song....

and depending on your notion of "love"...Im f*ckin You Tonight" by Biggie...

Tricknology said...

wow, you took me back w/ "renee", haha. i still wish i had that lost boyz cd.

Anonymous said...

"Camay" Ghostface Killah...although I love Slum Village I would have to exclude their.."Look of Love" & "Fall in Love" ...both songs have lush,layered,beautiful love sounding tracks. And the names sound like love songs but..if you listen to either they are not at all about love...spec..the chorus'....."Passin Me By" is pining love at it's plateau..also..."Break You Off" and countless other Roots tracks{you got me,silent treatment...etc..} "Me and My Girlfriend"..Pac and Jigga versions...I could go all night...anymore questioins about Hip Hop ask me before you get drunk and talk shit on Hip Hop's versatility...ps...I love you two vixens...you can thank Huevos for that..saw him through your page...err...switch that....need a guest blogger?..get at me... ebates33gmail.com

Tricknology said...

you're all i need - method man & mary JAY blige